14 January 2015

Witty Words with Swirling Up

Today I am sharing some witty words that I had with Greta from Swirling Up! I have known Greta for a pretty long time actually. We went to the same high school, did theater together, and even were on the same dance team. She is so amazing and her blog is no different. Aside from blogging she also shares videos on her YouTube channel! See what Greta had to say below.




Hi Greta! For those who are not familiar with you and your blog, tell us a little about yourself. 
Hello! My name is Greta and I'm a college freshman. I started blogging in 2012, and have only recently started to take it more seriously. I use my blog as a place to collect my thoughts, almost like a public online diary. I talk about preppy things, daily adventures, healthy lifestyle, etc. 

How did you come up with the name Swirling Up?
It's a weird story, haha. I came up with the username SwirlingUp when I was in 6th grade. I had just watched an episode of the Amanda Show, the one with the Tilt-a-Hurl ride (featured here).  I started playing around with words. Swirl rhymed with "hurl" and eventually I came to the name SwirlingUp! (So yes...my blog name was actually inspired by Nickelodeon and vomit...hahaha.)

What's your favorite store to shop at?
I love J. Crew and J. Crew Factory. I also love this local consignment shop called Loralei's, where they sell new or gently used designer apparel. 

If you could describe yourself in three words what would they be?
Goofy, Adventurist, Learner

What motivates you to keep blogging?
Definitely reading other blogs. If other girls my age can do it, why can't I? I also like to reread my old posts. It's interesting to see how much can change over the years, and it encourages me to keep on blogging and documenting.

How has being at college effected you as a blogger?
I had been doing pretty well at posting consistently over the summer. But once I moved to school, things changed. There was a period of time where I simply got too busy. Adjusting to college is hard. Even though I wish I had blogged more, I know I needed to spend that time meeting new people, studying, and getting acclimated. I also do not have a professional camera with me at college, or even WIFI. This makes it extremely time consuming to upload my low quality iPhone pictures to a blog post. Also, I sometimes get too embarrassed going outside and taking pictures for OOTD posts. Hopefully I will find more time second semester to dedicate to blogging!

How did you know your college was the right college for you?
I had visited the school when my older brother toured there years ago. I thought it was nice, but "I would never go there." Interesting how things change! It was almost by a process of elimination. All the other schools I was considering had something wrong about them. One day I sat on JMU's website and looked at all the majors and clubs I could be involved in. Through this, as well as touring the school, I got the vibe that the students were similar to me. It would be a place I would fit in. I never had a "step onto the campus and instantly know this is where you belong" moment that people talk about, but that's okay. It took me until the very last day to decide a school, but I am completely happy with my choice.

Do you have any advice for someone that is wanting to start a blog?
I would recommend using a clean format with a normal font. No fancy type curls or busy backgrounds. I would also write 5 to 10 different blog posts and schedule them to upload every couple of days before making your blog live. This way you have consistent content! Also, if you can, use a nice camera with a memory card. Pictures may look good on your iPhone, but once you transfer them online they can get fuzzy and blurry. I also have a note on my phone where I brainstorm blog post ideas. If I'm in a rut, I just use those. Also interact with others online, make some blogging friends, etc. Sign all of your comments with your name and blog. Etc. Good luck(:

Where can we find you on social media?
My blog is SwirlingUp.blogspot.com and my YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/user/SwirlingUp
My Instagram is @swirlingup and my Twitter is @swirlingup  

Just for fun, what's your guilty pleasure Disney movie?
Call me lame, but I haven't actually seen that many Disney movies! When I was younger I loved The Aristocats and now I am completely obsessed with Frozen. I love Anna and all the songs she sings! And I love the snow :)


Thanks so much for letting me chat with you Greta! If you want to learn more about SwirlingUp and the girl behind it all go check out all of her social media accounts from question nine! 

cheers,
Sarah

Leave a comment telling me your favorite Disney movie!

No comments :

Leave a Comment